Tuesday 21 August 2012

Indie pop Genre

The Indie genre is an umbrella genre which encompasses a wide variety of individual subgenres, including indie rock, indie folk, indie electro, indie rap, indie metal. My chosen artist considers her music as indie pop which is another indie hybrid. I have researched this genre and found that the main conventions of indie pop music is that it's lighter and less depressing than indie rock with a more melodic tune and the typical indie background guitar, this perfectly summarises my artist's music. Current indie pop artists include; Bombay Bicycle Club, Mumford And Sons, VV Brown, Noah And The Whale, Lucy Rose and Corinne Bailey Rae. All of which I will research and use their music videos/promotional packages as inspiration for my own media products. I have looked at a few indie pop music videos and here is my first impression of the main conventions; a rural location, an abundance of focus pulls, quirky/ tomboyish costumes, a happy/light-hearted atmosphere, an artistic/creative touch e.g. animation and a combination of performance and narrative conventions.

No comments:

Post a Comment