Sunday 14 October 2012

Sunrise test shots

These are a few test shots of a sunrise I've filmed to try to give an idea of how my music video will begin. I would like the beginning to feature an animation of a sunrise (similar to the sunrise animation at the start of Coldplay's Every teardrop is a waterfall) and then there will be a transition to a real life shot of a sunrise. I have taken seperate shots of the same sunrise at different stages of rising, the first one is when the sun is lowest in the sky, the 2nd and 3rd shots are when the sun is higher in the sky. The test shots were taken in a similar location to the one I am using for my music video.



Test shot 1: I like the way the sun's rays are bursting out from behind the cloud, which evokes an optimistic feeling for the beginning of my music video, thus reinforcing the light-hearted style of typical Indie music videos. I also like the church tower in the background of the shot, however I think the foreground of dense trees is a bit dull, I would prefer a far reaching vista. The camera work is quite shakey, but I could try to edit the footage to get a smooth shot.




Test shot 2: The composition of this shot is much more effective as the two trees frame the sun on each side, which draws the viewer's attention towards the sun rise. The sky is also clearer so the sun is brighter and more vivid. In terms of animation this shot would work well as I could use black card to depict the silhouetted trees in the foreground and in the back ground I could use paint in various colours (orange, yellow, red, pink) to display the gradual rising of the sun.




Test shot 3: This is my favourite out of all the shots, as I like the strong foreground of the plants with the droplets of dew sparkling in the sun. However I will edit out the car going past on the road in the middle-ground. This shot reinforces the typical Indie conventions as it places a strong emphasis on nature, which occurs in many Indie/Acoustic videos I've analysed. I wanted the style of this shot to emulate the beginning shots of Ben Howard's Old Pine music video as he walks through a field as the sun is rising and there are beautiful close ups of orange rays shining through the grass.

No comments:

Post a Comment