Thursday 20 September 2012

Ben Howard 'Old Pine' Music Video Timeline




 
 
 
This is a timeline for the entire duration of Ben Howard's 'Old Pine' music video with the timings of all of the 60 shots plus descriptions of the shot content. I chose Ben Howard as he's an Indie/Acoustic artist (the same genre as my music video) whose music video style I would like to emulate. His music video is set completely outside in rural and seaside locations which is very similar to the locations I plan to use for my music video. His visuals amplify his lyrics which constantly reference the natural world.
 
Through studying my timeline I can see the typical conventions of a music video from my chosen genre, which will help me decide what kind of footage to capture and guide me through the editing process. One of the main features of the music video was the variety of shot times (the amount of time a shot is on screen for); at the beginning of the music video the shot duration is short with the average shot appearing on the screen for about 3 seconds. However as the video progresses the shot duration gets longer with shots appearing on screen for over 10 seconds. The shot durations usually follow the pattern of a short duration time followed by a long duration time (e.g. 5 seconds followed by 14 seconds).
 
 
The most common shot featured in this music video are close ups of crops, trees, or the sea; thus illustrating his lyrics about the natural world. At the beginning of the music video there are lots of close ups on the artist's legs and feet walking through a field, however his face isn't shown, this builds a sense of mystery and adventure as the viewer wonders who the character is and where he is going. There aren't many close ups of the actual artist which doesn't follow the typical conventions of a music video, as there are usually a lot of close ups to emphasise their star status, because the music video is focused on them.
 
There are many wide shots of landscapes and seascapes featured in the music video which sets the scene, however some people may find these shot types boring. The common camera movement featured in the music video is a tracking shot which follows the subject of the shot (e.g. tracks a bird or tracks the artist), this adds interest to the shot as there is movement and the viewer can follow the subject. I think this is a very effective music video as it evokes a tranquil, natural, and rustic atmosphere through the slow paced continuity editing, shot types and duration. It is this style which my music video will be influenced by, so I will use this timeline to storyboard my own music video.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment