Saturday 24 November 2012

Mock up of magazine advert for CD


This design features the same photograph that was on the back of the CD digipak, I did this deliberately so that the artist could become recognisable to the target audience. The artist is portrayed as being quite shy and reserved in this image as she is almost hiding behind a tree, however she's got a coy/playful expression which conveys the light-heartedness of the album. I like the way the sunlight is shining through the trees, thus evoking a cheerful, optimistic atmosphere and also acts as a spotlight on the artist so she stands out.

I have used the rule of thirds within the design to make it more appealing and easy to read for the target audience. The composition of the advert is effective as the woodland takes up the majority of the image which signifies nature's importance within the songs on the album, which reinforces the theme of my music video. The artist's costume is evocative of a warm summer's afternoon; the maxi skirt conveys a stylish, laid-back, quirky individual which should appeal to members of our target audience and also reinforces the style I would like the music video to portray.

I placed the text at the top of the design so it grabs the reader's attention when they are reading the magazine, the text also stands out as it is positioned on the white area in front of the sun. The typography is in the same style as the text on the CD digipak, as I want the same style to flow across all of the ancillary products, therefore the album will be recognisable to the people that have come across the magazine advert. The text that features the name of the artist is larger than the rest of the text on the page, as I wanted it to be the focal point of the advert, so the target audience immediately know the name of the artist.

The typography of the artist's name is in a serif style which evokes a feminine, sophisticated edge. However the other text on the page are in a son serif style as I wanted the typography to be simple but bold, so they deliver the necessary information but doesn't distract the reader's attention from the main focus: the name and the artist. The blue colours of the typography convey tranquility and a sense of freedom, it also evokes imagery of the sea; all of which encapsulate the style and theme of the music video. The name of the artist is in a darker blue which signifies that it is the most important information on the advert, the lighter blue is used as I wanted to break up the text using colour, so it is easier to read and more attractive to the reader.

I have produced a second mock up of the magazine advert which is exactly the same but it only has the artist's name and album name, as I wasn't sure if I wanted the information about the 'Number 1 UK album, featuring Another Day and This Life' . This is because many magazine adverts of the same genre only have the name of the artist and the name of the album on the advert, which is simple and doesn't distract the reader from the image as it only features the vital information about the album. To choose my final design I will conduct a survey using members of the target audience; I'll ask them about the text and if they have any other improvements, thus ensuring my magazine advert appeals to the target audience.

No comments:

Post a Comment