Friday 23 November 2012

Artist feedback



Alex (my artist) had a huge amount of input when we created the storyboard as we sat down together and discussed different shot types, shot compositions and locations, as she had a clear idea of how she wanted to be represented within the music video. However I also had a clear idea of the style I wanted the video to capture - luckily we both agreed and even developed each others initial ideas. Although this project is a collaboration, I am the one in charge of the technical side - I edited on my own during class time, so the finished rough cut was Alex's first viewing of the video. She was impressed and pleased with the outcome, however she did give valued feedback on how I could improve it; she said she really liked the animations within the music video as they illustrate the lyrics successfully, this is good as I think the animations add a creative, quirky edge to the imagery which makes my music video a bit more unique. She thought the shot content effectively amplifies the message of her song. For example the wide shots of birds flying through the sky not only illustrates the main lyrics of her chorus but amplifies the message of her song: they depict humanity's need to stick together but also the difficulty to be individual in such a judgemental society, whilst the bird shots also evoke freedom and a care-free atmosphere, which follows the typical conventions of the Indie genre. 

Alex suggested some improvements, including; varying shot transitions to add interest, she suggests more dissolves to make the shots flow better and to give greater continuity. I agree with this point as I do use a lot of simple cuts between shots, however I did this because the majority of Indie music videos I have researched have only had jump cuts and cross dissolves as transitions, so I want to make my music video follow the typical conventions of the Indie genre by using similar transitions. I have used a few additive cross dissolves which gives a dream-like, ethereal effect, thus enhancing the quirky mood of the video, so I could add in more of these in appropriate places. Alex also said that she likes the shots of her looking down at the camera, so I will definitely try to use more low angle shots of her in the tree, as I think they make Alex appear in control and authoritative which is how I want her character to be represented.

No comments:

Post a Comment