Friday 23 November 2012

Rough cut feedback



These are two members of my target audience who watched my music video rough cut, and then answered some of my questions. The first question I asked them was what they thought the strengths of the music video were; Ellie said she liked the two different locations (the woodland and beach) as she thought they complimented each other. She also said she liked the shot of Alex sat singing on the bench in the wood as it connects the different shots together and makes them flow. Fliss said she thought the wide variety of camera shots and different angles was really effective. Fliss also said she liked the way the imagery matched the music, for example the shot of the boat hitting the waves when the music got louder, faster and more dramatic. Ellie said she also liked the way the visuals reflected the music and the lyrics, such as when Alex is singing about birds, there are wide shots of birds flying in the sky. One of the main conventions of Andrew Goodwin's theory is that the visuals in a music video either illustrates, amplifies or contradicts the lyrics, so the visuals in my music video amplifies the music as well as amplifies the meaning of the lyrics. This is good as I want the target audience to understand the message in the song and to be able to relate to how the artist is feeling.

They also had some improvements for me to make to my music video, Ellie said that some of the shot transitions were too sharp and could be softer/smoother so I could improve this by adding in more dissolves so it's more flowing.  Fliss said that some of the shots were too short so the viewer didn't really have enough time to fully register what they were being shown, so I can improve this by lengthening some shots. Their feedback has proved really useful and I agree with all of their comments, so I will make the improvements and hopefully my music video will be more appealing to the target audience.


No comments:

Post a Comment