Friday 23 November 2012

Editing the brightness/contrast filter


This is a screen shot of me editing the brightness/contrast of my music video in Final Cut Express, I did this by clicking on the 'Effects' tab at the top of the small window on the left, and then I clicked on 'Video Filters' and selected the 'Brightness/Contrast' option and dragged this option to the middle box which contained the clip I wanted to edit. After this I clicked on the 'Filter' tab at the top of the middle box which opened a window containing individual brightness and contrast scales, so I could then play around with increasing/decreasing the brightness/contrast, until I found the combination that worked successfully.
I increased the 'Brightness/Contrast' filter to create an Instagram style to this shot to make it look edgy and artistic. This also makes the setting appear sunnier as the colours are brighter and more vibrant, therefore evoking a happy, cheerful atmosphere, which is one of the key conventions of the Indie genre.


This screen shot depicts me having dramatically increased the contrast of the shot, which really improves the clarity and sharpness of the imagery. It also makes the colours incredibly attention grabbing, however I think the colours within this particular shot may be a bit too bright so I will have to tone the colours down a bit, so that there is a sense of continuity between all of the different shots. I haven't enhanced the colours in all of the shots, as some are already bright enough, I've only enhanced the brightness/contrast filter on particular shots where the weather was dull and therefore the lighting wasn't good, but I've also used the filter to create an artistic style, however I don't want to overdo this effect - I want it to be a unique feature on some shots.

No comments:

Post a Comment