Wednesday 28 November 2012

2nd mock up of the CD digipak advert



I have made quite a lot of improvements to my magazine advert as I want the advert to really jump out of the page at the reader. The main feedback I received for the design was to space out the text so that it isn't clumped together at the top, so I took away the unnecessary information ('The number one UK album featuring Another Day and This Life) and left the vital information (artist name and album title). Therefore the text stands out more and grabs the reader's attention as it is the only text on the page, the photo of the artist also becomes clearer as the main focal point of the advert. The dismissal of the other text makes the finished design feature the rule of thirds with the artist stood in the middle of the two lines of text, thus drawing the reader's eyes towards the image of the artist, therefore making her recognisable to the target audience and making the overall design more aesthetically pleasing.

I changed the typography of the text as a few members of my target audience stated that the original font style wasn't reinforcing the Indie genre. So I took these opinions on board and changed the typography of the artist's name to a serif font, thus conveying a more feminine, decorative, handwritten vibe which also injects a sense of fluidity and formality within the design. This 'handwritten' style follows the typical conventions of the Indie genre as it evokes a creative feel. The typography of the album title was inspired by the typography that is featured on Noah And The Whale's album, The first days of Spring (an indie/folk band). I like this font as it's bold and plain which contrasts against the curvaceous, fluent style of the font used for the artist's name. 

I used similar colours for the typography of the magazine advert as I did for the CD digipak as I want my music video's  promotional package to contain design features which flow throughout, therefore if a member of our target audience has seen the magazine advert then they will recognise the CD digipak as it contains the same typography and the  image used for the magazine advert is the same one I used on the back panel of the CD digipak. I have added a white border around the edge of the typography to make it stand out and easier to read.

To further reinforce the Indie genre of the album, I found an image of a coffee stained piece of paper on the internet which I then placed in Photoshop and faded behind the image of the artist. This enhances the creative, handwritten style of the advert, while the sepia tones add a slightly rustic, authentic, vintage affect which follows the typical conventions of the Indie genre. I wanted the magazine advert design to emulate the style of Corinne Bailey Rae's album cover, The Sea.

No comments:

Post a Comment